Health and Nutrition
"An Apple a Day Keeps the Doctor Away"
At Chipinaw, the safety and physical well being of our campers and staff is our number one priority. Our state of the art Health Center is a clean, bright, and spacious air conditioned building equipped with an exam area, private exam room, isolation rooms for special cases, accessible showers, private dining area, and four extended stay areas with TVs. The Health Center also provides the campers with bedding so they don’t have to worry about bringing over their own if they are there for an extended stay. We are also only a short distance from two health clinics in our local area and a major hospital in Harris, NY. Local ambulance/EMT service is available with 911.
Our resident health staff consists of a doctor, pediatric nurse practitioner, and up to eight registered nurses who oversee the medical care of our campers throughout the entire summer, including those with unique situations such as allergies, chronic health issues, and those requiring regular medication. Our Health Center is staffed 24 hours a day and our doctor and nurses live on campus to ensure appropriate care. Sick Call takes place after every meal, and campers are encouraged to come in for a visit when they (or their counselors) think they need medical assistance. Nurses dispense medications at mealtimes in the Dining Hall using CampMeds, a quick and safe pre-packaged system.
If a camper is staying in the Health Center overnight or is receiving care for a unique situation, the health staff always consults with his or her parents. We also understand that young campers away from home with a health problem often need an extra dose of "tender loving care". Our nurses understand that working in a summer camp requires them to be sensitive to the needs of children. It is essential that our nurses have not only the credentials to be a skilled RN, but have the right temperament to work with children as well.
Each summer the simple goal of our dining room is to provide nutritious and well balanced meals that kids will enjoy eating. Our campers eat family style with their bunk and are served by waiters and waitresses. Our waiters and waitresses get to know their table’s preferences or food allergies and serve them appropriately.
During the summer, campers are constantly on the go and it’s extremely important that they eat right to maintain their health and energy. We strive to put together a kosher menu that is both diverse and nutritionally sound. Of course, we realize that not every child is going to like every meal; that’s why we make sure that we always have multiple options available. Complementing every meal are our variety of food bars.
BREAKFAST – always a dairy meal
- A different hot meal each day such as pancakes, fresh eggs, waffles, french toast, or lox and bagels
- Juice, Hot Chocolate, Tea, Coffee
- Milk – choice of skim, 2%, whole, or lactaid
- Hot cereal
- Up to 15 different cold cereals
- Yogurt – plain or flavored such as vanilla or strawberry
- Cottage Cheese
- Hard boiled eggs
LUNCH & DINNER – one hot meal is served at every lunch and dinner
- Dairy Options – Baked Ziti, Cheese Ravioli, Grilled Cheese, Pizzabagel, and more
- Meat Options – Grilled Chicken, Chicken wings, Tacos, Spaghetti & Meatballs, Brisket, Steak, and more
- Juice, Tea, Coffee
FRUIT BAR – Offering a variety of fresh fruit throughout the day
- Breakfast – Cantaloupe, Honeydew, Bananas, Oranges, and more.
- Lunch & Dinner – Plums, Peaches, Apples, Oranges, and more
- Fruit is available all day long in the dining rooms and main office for those campers who would like a snack mid day.
BREAD BAR – Offered at every meal
- White Bread, Wheat Bread, Potato Bread, and more
- Grape Jelly and Butter
- Peanut Butter is served in individual containers by the waiters or waitresses
PASTA & POTATO BAR – Offered at Lunch & Dinner
- Plain pasta with plain sauce
- Potato wedges or baked potatoes
- Some days will have other items such as soups and hot leftovers.
SALAD BAR – Offered at Lunch & Dinner
- Fresh Greens
- Salad Topping – Cucumbers, Carrots, Celery, Peppers, Tomatoes, Chick Peas
- Special Salads – Tuna Salad, Egg Salad, Pasta Salad, Macaroni Salad, Hummus
- Variety of salad dressings
DESSERT & BAKED GOODS
- Made by our on site baker
- Bite sized desserts such as banana bread, elephant ears, black & white cookies, brownies, and more!
- Soft Challah Bread
- Fresh Rolls
- Birthday Cakes
We do our best to buy as much of our produce as we can from local farmers. We also have our Camp Mom working in the dining room during each meal to help ensure that our pickier eaters, or those with special dietary needs, are accommodated. We have "icee call" every day at 2:30 on each campus for a mid day snack. Throughout the day, Nutri-Grain bars and fresh fruit are offered in the main offices or the dining room for a healthy snack option. We also encourage campers to bring their own water bottles and use our filtered water stations around camp to stay hydrated throughout the day.